What is an Electric Bike?
While you were out at the park or running errands, you saw a person riding a bike; maybe it was an electric bike. Except they were going a little bit faster than you thought possible while peddling and their feet weren’t moving! What you probably witnessed was not a magical phenomenon, but an electric bike. Electric bikes have small motors on them and assist people with peddling sometimes or all of the time, depending on what they want. There are a lot of options with electric bikes, making them a popular choice for college students, families and older people who might have some health issues but still enjoy exercising outside.
The Electric Bike
- An electric bike looks mostly like a traditional bike, with the exception of the motor attached to it. The motor on the bike is either attached near the back wheel or under the seat on the frame. Depending on the style of bike you purchase will determine where the motor goes.
Electric Bike Motors
- The motor is controlled in one of two places. There will be a switch on the handlebars which allow the rider to turn the power on or off. There are also electric bikes that can be controlled with the peddles. Neither location is better than the other, it just depends on what style you prefer for yourself.
Electric Bike Battery
- The motor of an electric bike is powered by a rechargeable battery. The batteries will come in different sizes that allow it to power different sizes of bikes. For example, a small bike that doesn’t weigh very much will only need a small battery to run it. A large bike that can go for longer distances at higher speeds will require a large battery to power it. The battery lengths all vary too, but the average battery will power a bike between 12 and 20 miles. The conditions on the road will also add to or take away the life of the battery.
- An electric bike comes in various models to match the conditions it is used for. There are electric bikes that are intended for people to race with. These bikes will have larger motors and batteries because they need speed in order to win. Other bikes are meant for touring around in a park or along a leisurely path. These bikes don’t have to have large motors or batteries, unless the rider wants to go for long distances.
- Other models of bikes made include a foldable electric bike. This type of bike still has the motor on it, but it is located under the seat of bike. The frame then folds in half or in thirds. The wheels can even snap off and make it more compact. Foldable bikes are perfect for people who are short on storage space, like college students or apartment dwellers in a city. The bikes can be folded up and stored in a closet, behind a door or even under the bed when not in use.
- Foldable electric bikes are also easy to travel with. The bike can be loaded up in the back of a vehicle easily when you want to drive across town and explore a new bike path. The bike can also be taken on a vacation, where you have lots of other things to get in to the car. The compact frame allows you to pack the bike as well as everything else you need in order to have a great vacation.
- Electric bikes are becoming more popular as the price of gas goes up. People who live in the city or a short distance away from work can opt to ride their bike to and from work without ever having to get gas for the trip. Simply take the battery charger to work and then you don’t have to worry about the commute home or sitting in traffic half the night.
For people who ride electric bikes to work or to school, they also have time on their side. Time isn’t wasted in a traffic jam or sitting at a gas station waiting to fill up. Jump on the bike and head to your destination. As long as your electric bike is charged up you are ready to hit the road in style and become the talk of the town.